Starter: How closely does the US Congress demographically mirror the American people?
1.What most surprised you about this chart?
2.What story does this chart tell?
3.Why do you think the chart is the way it is?
4.In what way is Congress demographically least representative?
5.Why does Congress not more accurately mirror the US?
6.Who does Congress represent?
7.Who benefits the most from this demographically unrepresentative congress?
8.This data is from the 113th congress (4-5 years ago). How do you think this information was different in the 1st Congress and how will it be different in the 120th Congress?
9.Describe your version of what the ideal congress would look like.
Functions of Congress
There are 5 major roles that Congress plays in the U.S. We'll get familiar with them here!
Word of the Day: chamber
- Define it
- Provide an example
- Which chamber confirms presidential nominees and treaties?
- Which chamber is controlled by the Democratic Party?
Powers of Congress
Closer: What does Congress do?
- Make a claim here!
- Support your claim with TWO pieces of accurate and relevant information.
- Use reasoning to explain why your evidence supports your claim.
- Respond to an opposing or alternative perspective.