Starter: Most urban voters are Democrats and most rural voters are Republicans. But are registered suburban voters more likely to identify as Democrats or Republicans?
1.How accurate was your prediction?
2.What has happened to Republican support in urban areas over the past 20 years?
3.What is one cause of this urban tilt?
4.How much does the data in the chart accurately describe the place where you live?
5.If you had to make a statement regarding party affiliation of rural vs. urban voters what would it be?
6.Why do you think rural voters are so pro-Republican?
7.Why do you think urban voters are so pro-Democratic?
8.Based on the data above, what information to we need to know in order to predict the outcome of an election?
9.It's a fact that people who register as independents generally vote consistently for either Republicans or Democrats in elections. Why do people register as independents?
10.What is one consequence of this big rural urban divide in America?
11.How much has this urban/rural party affiliation divide grown over the past two decades, and if it continues, what will this urban/rural party affiliation divide look like in two more decades?
12.How has this divide impacted the Trump presidency?
- What are 3 functions of political parties?
- What are 2 impacts of political parties?
- What is 1 way that political parties adapt to change?
Alternative Party Systems
This one's on paper. Complete it with those at your table to be turned in for a classwork grade.
Jacobson is Commandeering the Class Today
This is a complicated and difficult topic today--I'm gonna lecture on it!
America the Liberal
Read “America the Liberal: The Democratic Majority: It Emerged!” and write a one-page response:
- Describe the author's claim(s), perspective, evidence, and reasoning.
- Explain how the author's claim relates to political principles, institutions, processes, policies, and/or behaviors.
- Explain how the implications of the author's claim may affect political principles, institutions, processes, policies, and/or behaviors.
Closer: Despite ever-increasing unpopularity, why do the two main political parties still dominate politics in the United States?
- Make a claim here!
- Support your claim with TWO pieces of accurate and relevant information.
- Use reasoning to explain why your evidence supports your claim.
- Respond to an opposing or alternative perspective.